The Helen Brown Group LLC is committed to safeguarding your privacy. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or problems regarding the use of your Personal Data and we will gladly assist you. If you’d like to see what information our website collects about you, please visit this page.
Table of Contents
- Definitions used in this Policy
- Data protection principles we follow
- What rights do you have regarding your Personal Data
- What Personal Data we gather about you
- How we use your Personal Data
- Who else has access to your Personal Data
- How we secure your data
- Information about cookies
- Contact information
Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Processing – any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.
Data subject – a natural person whose Personal Data is being processed.
Child – a natural person under 16 years of age.
We/us (either capitalized or not) – The Helen Brown Group LLC
Data Protection Principles
We promise to abide by the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We consider legal rights before processing Personal Data. We will provide you with information regarding if/how your data has been processed upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our processing activities fit the purpose for which the Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for each purpose.
- Processing is limited with a time period. We will not store personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
Everyone has the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have the right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
Data we gather and process
Information you have provided to us
This might be your e-mail address, name, billing address, home address etc – mainly information that is necessary for delivering you a product/service or to enhance your customer experience with us. We save the information you provide us with in order for you to comment or perform other activities on the website. As a client or end user of our products and services, The Helen Brown Group LLC is a data controller.
Information collected about you by third party services
This includes information that is automatically stored by cookies and other session tools. For example, your Member Area username and password, your IP address, your Member area viewing history etc. This information is used to improve your customer experience. When you use our services or look at the contents of our website, your activities may be logged.
At checkout in the Member Area, we will collect your name, email address, username, and password. This information is used to setup your account for our site. If you are redirected to an offsite payment gateway to complete any payments, we may store this information in a temporary session variable to setup your account when you return to our site.
If you have signed up for our newsletter, we use your email address to mail it to you. When you open email from us our third-party email marketing service will collect information including your IP address, which links you have clicked on, your broad geographical location, etc.
Information provided to us by our clients and partners
Our clients provide us with Personal Data about their alumni, friends, members, patients, and other constituents who are volunteers, donors, and donor prospects. We process information from our trusted partners with confirmation that they have legal grounds to share that information with us. This is either information that constituents have provided to them directly or that they have gathered about constituents on other legal grounds. We retain this information for 6 months for the convenience of our clients at which time it is deleted. In our work on behalf of our clients The Helen Brown Group LLC is a data processor.
Publicly available information
We might gather information about you that is publicly available. Resources that we use for this purpose include (but are not limited to) search engines, newspaper and magazine databases, social media, company websites and directories, foundation websites and directories, philanthropy lists, and public data aggregators. A full list of resources is available upon request to email@example.com.
How we use your Personal Data
If you are a client or user of HBG products or services, we use your Personal Data in order to:
- provide our service to you. This includes (for example) registering your account; providing you with other products and services that you have requested; providing you with information at your request and communicating with you in relation to our products and services; communicating and interacting with you; and notifying you of changes to any services.
- enhance your customer experience;
- fulfil an obligation under law or contract;
- send you newsletters or provide access to member-only areas of our website;
- communicate for sales or invoicing purposes; and/or
- provide you with access to our goods and services.
We use Personal Data based on legitimate interest and/or with your consent, depending on the circumstance (data processor or data controller, respectively).
We may process your Personal Data in order to fulfil obligation rising from law and/or use your Personal Data for options provided by law. We reserve the right to anonymize Personal Data gathered and to use any such data. We will use data outside the scope of this Policy only when it is anonymized.
We save billing information and other information gathered about you/your account for as long as needed for accounting purposes or other obligations deriving from law, but not longer than one year after it is needed.
We might process your Personal Data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here, but are compatible with the original purpose for which the data was gathered. To do this, we will ensure that:
- the link between purposes, context and nature of Personal Data is suitable for further processing;
- the further processing would not harm your interests; and
- there would be appropriate safeguard for processing.
Who else can access your Personal Data
We do not share your Personal Data with anyone outside of The Helen Brown Group LLC or our clients who have contracted our services. Personal Data about you is collected by third parties when you access our website in order to provide a service to you or to enhance your user experience. Your data may be collected and/or processed by connected third parties, including (but not limited to):
- Google Analytics, Paid Memberships Pro, and MailChimp
We only work with processing partners that are able to ensure appropriate levels of protection of your Personal Data. We disclose your Personal Data to third parties or public officials when we are legally obliged to do so. We might disclose your Personal Data to third parties if you have consented to it or if there are other legal grounds for it.
How we secure your data
We do our best to keep your Personal Data safe. We use safe protocols for communication and transferring data (such as HTTPS). We use anonymizing and pseudonymizing where suitable. We monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. We use cloud-based, secure servers and encryption for file storage and delivery.
We do our best, but given the nefarious efforts of others we cannot guarantee the security of any information. However, we will notify suitable authorities of data breaches immediately after we have discovered them. We will also do our best to notify you if there is a threat to your rights or interests. We do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist authorities should any breaches occur.
If you have an account with us, it is your responsibility to keep your username and password secret. We recommend that you use strong passwords and store them securely.
We do not intend to collect or knowingly collect information from children. We do not target children with our services.
Cookies and other technologies we use
A cookie is a tiny text file stored on your computer. Cookies store information that is used to help make sites work. Only we can access the cookies created by our website. You can control your cookies at the browser level. Choosing to disable cookies may hinder your use of certain functions on our website.
- Necessary cookies – these cookies are required for you to be able to use some important features on our website, such as logging in. These cookies don’t collect any personal information.
- Functionality cookies – these cookies provide functionality that makes using our service more convenient and makes providing more personalized features possible. For example, they might remember your name and e-mail in comment forms so you don’t have to re-enter this information next time when commenting.
- Analytics cookies – these cookies are used to track the use and performance of our website and services
You can remove cookies stored in your computer via your browser settings. Alternatively, you can control some 3rd party cookies by using a privacy enhancement platform such as optout.aboutads.info or youronlinechoices.com. For more information about cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.
The Helen Brown Group LLC
489 Mt. Auburn Street, Suite 4
Watertown, MA 02472
If you have questions about our security or data handling policies, please contact Helen Brown, at Helen@HelenBrownGroup.com.
Last modification was made December 4, 2018.